Microsoft is developing a new Office version. Office 16 preview has already been released to select testers. The key new feature is proper implementation of Windows 8.x based Modern UI integration.
Other new features (via Office 16.0.3030.1016 build technical documentation) include:
- Tell Me
- Insert images with the correct orientation
- Enable pan and zoom while loading large Charts/SmartArt
- BI in Excel – upgrade, backend DLL, search in field list
- Timeline View – Multiple Timeline Bars and Custom Date Ranges
- Attaching/Sharing Most Recently Used (MRU) local and cloud files on OneDrive (Consumer and Business) and SharePoint
- Accessibility (Keyboard access for Shape Panel) in Visio
- Content Refresh in Visio
- Information Rights Management (IRM) protection now added for Visio files
- Black Theme
- Lean Outlook storage footprint on small devices
- Visio Getting Started Feature
Some features aren’t new: Tell Me is included in the Office web app release. Nor is the Black theme that launched with Office 2010.
Here’s a video of what’s new: